Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Texting is OUT of CONTROL!!

In my morning ritual of blog surfing while eating breakfast, I came across this article about a father who received a 440 page phone bill because his daughter was texting...over 14,000 of them in one month. His response? "That's insane, that's impossible".

So,

Of course, I have to go to my phone bill to see how our resident fanatic phone texter compares. Guess what?? It's NOT Jacque. She is below the average at around 700. (The national average is 1700 per month for teenagers)

Our daughter...the OTHER one??? I can't even write the number.



12,100

Yes, you read that right.

That means....about 403 per day or 23 per hour (allowing her 7 hours of sleep...which is RARE). WHO does that??? Well, besides a girl in the paper and our daughter? Aly should go into speech and debate with those numbers!
And if that is per day...she has to be doing more because she does NOT take her phone to church. Yes, I check and she is very good about that.

Something is wrong. I'm VERY glad that we have unlimited, but I'm thinking we are going to have a nice little talk later on about using our voices to communicate as opposed as our fingers!
I know that there are many good reasons to have texting. I enjoy the small messages of communication thru-out the day with our children and those who do not live close by. I think it's amazing how a mass text can let the teenagers know when someone has died (Pres. Hinckley) or the idea to dress in Sunday clothes the following day to show respect. But as I have talked to both of our daughters, there is a definite lack of communication skills when trying to develop friendships or lasting relationships. I guess it's like everything else....
There is good and bad....opposition is all things. Our responsibility is to use things wisely, for good.

BUT....403 per day.....SHEEEESH!!!!!

2 comments:

The Mrs. said...

HAHAHAH! That's quite hilarious if you ask me! I thought I was bad at like 2,000 per month...now I'm down to like 600 a month. Sad.

Anonymous said...

Awww....the joy of the unlimited feature. I really dislike texting half the time. I wonder what is wrong with me.... :)