Thursday, February 18, 2010

It's been a wild ride...

It has been an interesting month with beautiful "high" moments and some "low" moments as well.  So, here is the recap:
The week before Christmas, I started experiencing some stomach "issues".  First, it was just cramping and nausea, but as time progressed, my stomach was not cooperating and eating became quite painful...especially after 2:00 p.m.  We lightly called it the night-time disease.  But since I have a history of stomach problems, we started the testing at the first of the year.  Beginning in January, I had an ultrasound and upper GI series.  These revealed that I had "polyps" in my gall bladder, but nothing that my GI specialist thought was prelude to surgery.  These tests did help to eliminate such diseases as stomach cancer and gall bladder diseases.  Next was an Endoscopy, and then much more waiting.  So, in the meantime, my meals are getting very small and my nausea is a 24/7 thing.  Since I can usually find something positive....I was shedding a few pounds....YIPPPEE!!!!!
Next up?  Brad.  Yes, during this time, Brad was preparing for his own surgery.  On January 29th, he had LASEK performed on his right eye, hopefully correcting his astigmatism.  Since this is more extensive than LASIK, the recovery time is also a little longer.  This was done on a Friday, and we thought that by Monday, I could have my next test, which was a HIDA scan.

Monday, February 1st, I went to my HIDA scan, which was at Banner Gateway - a couple miles from our house - by myself.  Brad's eyes were still sore and recovering.  However, the scan could not be completed due to a "blockage".....duh?  They asked if they could give me an injection of morphine to restrict the passageway and force my gall bladder to light up on the screen, but that didn't work either.  Because of the drug effects, Brad was suppose to come and get me, but I VERY carefully drove home...under the influence of a very nice drug!  That afternoon, we took Brad for his eye check-up and decided between the two of us, we were quite the pair!
Now, not only can I eat one small breakfast, but the pains in my stomach are a little more irritating.  It's starting to cause some concern.  Monday night we patiently wait for the doctor to call and give us information.  Nothing!  Tuesday we are told he has the report and just needs to read it and figure out what to do.  No call.  Wednesday, I'm starting to stress a little. 

Did I fail to mention that in two days, Aaron and Savannah are flying in to surprise the family  AND in four days, our beautiful grand-daughter is going to be blessed??

FINALLY, we get a call Wednesday evening from our GI doctor, telling us that it has become an "emergency" and we need to get the gall bladder out asap.  Fortunately, we know a surgeon.  He grew up with my sister, LaNae.  Our doctor calls him.  Dr. Gray, the surgeon, calls us late Wednesday evening.  Yes, we need to schedule the surgery for tomorrow evening.  ONE day before Aaron/Savannah fly in and 3 days before the blessing.  OK...this is an out-patient thing..right?  Shouldn't be too much....right?
Oh, yeah....it's me we are talking about.  Nothing is ever, ever normal.  Inside, I know this and wonder just what is going to happen.  Thursday, I spend my time cleaning and wondering if all will go well.  Thanks to a beautiful blessing by Russ and my sweet husband, my fears are calmed and we head to Gilbert Mercy Hospital.

We meet with Dr. Gray, and I jokingly tell him that something will go wrong, so he better be prepared.  He tells me he has been doing this for over 15 years and I have nothing to worry about.  Surgery goes well.  Coming out of the sedation isn't quite as easy.  I can't seem to get a grip on reality, I'm as nauseated as I am sore.  Finally, after a few hours, I'm coherent enough to try and stand to get ready to go home.  Unfortunately, as I stand up, one of the incision areas starts to bleed.  Mind you, it's not an "ooze" out of the bandage, but enought to drench my clothes and the sheets.  GREAT!  I lay back down and the nurses stop the bleeding.  45 minutes go by...and we start again....with the same results.  After the third attempt, the nurses call Dr. Gray, who can't believe that it could be that bad.  They persuade him to leave his home (it's now about 10:30 p.m. or later...I can't recall).  He comes down and on the fourth time, with the same result, he informs me that he has NEVER seen anything like this.  He proceeds to give me about 7 seven stitches and they admit me to the hospital.  I'm sick and wanting to go home.  After all....Aaron and Savannah are due Friday evening!
Friday, around noon, I'm discharged.  The nurses take out my IV, and once again, my blood starts to ooze down my arm.  I leave quite a mess for the CNA to clean up! 

Friday evening, Aaron and Savannah arrive!  Their plane from Philadelphia was the last one to get out before the big storm hit!  They were very lucky!!  We are so glad they are here!!

Sunday, February 4th is the blessing day of our Jade!  It is a beautiful Sabbath day with all our family, all of  Jenny's family together to celebrate this special day.  I'm able to walk into Church and enjoy sacrament meeting.  We all met afterwards over at Tyler and Jenny's for wonderful food and company.  I grew a little tired, but was so grateful for the strength given me to enjoy this day.

So this last month of events has left me with the wonder of how very blessed I am.  While I struggled with what could have been wrong, I kept asking my Father in Heaven to strengthen my faith.  Did I trust Him enough with this next struggle in my life?  What if it was life threatening?  Did I still trust Him?  Every time I asked myself these questions, I knew that I did.  No matter what, I wanted to be the type of daughter that trusted and believed that my Heavenly Father would love me, give me strength, and provide a way to "endure all things".  But with each new obstacle, there was always a tender mercy waiting for me.  Tender mercies that I recognized?  A worthy husband and brother-in-law who took the time to give me a priesthood blessing and the great comfort that brought, a husband who put his own discomfort aside to take care of me, a surgeon that just happened to have time in his schedule and I knew from past surgeries (he put in and took out my port), Aaron and Savannah's plane coming in on time and their desire to help in any way, inner and physical strength to be in attendance of the blessing of our sweet grand-daughter, and most of all, the most wonderful family.  In every way, I love them all!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow Dena I had no idea you were going through so much over there. I wish I could've helped. Or can I still help? We have missed your family in "your" pew. I hope you are feeling well now. Nausea is awful. Oh and what a beautiful baby!

Mom Roberts said...

and look....you are still smiling and everything went well. You are truly amazing.

Beth said...

You always were such a strong and faithful influence in my life! I am always amazed by you! I am glad all is better now! Congrats on Jade's blessing! It is such a fun and unforgettable experience!

Donelle said...

That is just the cutest picture of your new baby...I love it. So sorry to hear about your troubles but so glad everything turned out "ok". I still want to come see your house. We are back in town. email me donellequinn@yahoo.com