Thursday, January 21, 2010

Am I Learning?

A new school year has started and both girls are involved with balancing school work, school assignments, church responsibilities and of course, the social scene.  Me?  This semester I am not going to school.  This was a very hard decision to make.  I have enjoyed the sense of accomplishment that finishing a college class brings.  But it is not to be.  I'm going to learn in other ways. 

As I have contemplated what might be in store for me, I have come across two ideas:  One is from Julie Beck, as she gave a commencement speech.  Yes, she was talking to graduates of a University, but I took her words to heart:
"The Lord has a plan for you, you have responsibilities which you have already been taught, the Atonement of Christ will help you overcome, and the Spirit will guide you... 'Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding' (Proverbs 3:5). Remember that the Lord has helped you before and He will help you again. As President Hinckley often said, 'It will all work out.'"

Even though I'm not in school, I've decided that each month I am going to "learn" something that will benefit my family and give me a sense of accomplishment.  My first 3 months are already decided:
January is the month of creativity
February is the month of journals and record keeping.
March is the month of organization.
(I will keep you posted on this)


I love the following scripture found in D&C 88:119:
Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God.

It seems like my faith is always being stretched.  Because of this, I am learning to pray more earnestly and to prepare every needful thing.  I always tell my girls that I say the following words to my Heavenly Father each morning....sometimes in the afternoon and always at night.  It is a good motto when life throws a curve-ball!
"I love you.... I trust you!"

2 comments:

Yvette said...

That's a great motto! As I've watched you throughout the years, I think you follow that scripture very well. You are always learning new ways of organizing and preparing for new things. You also have a great attitude when life does throw you a curve ball. Thanks for your example. I'm going to try to use your motto also.

Michelle said...

I love it Dena. You inspire me. I want to be creative, organized...and more. We forget as "moms" in the teaching role that we should continue learning as well. Thank you for your thoughts! (I love your background too)