
I am having so much fun in school this semester.......kind-of.....well, it's not what I thought it would be. First of all, my history class is a compact class....meaning...that instead of 16 weeks, it's only 9 weeks. What does that mean? It means having a summer class in the fall....reading every night and exams every week. It means lots of extra work in a small amount of time. I actually love this class. I've forgotten alot about how our country evolved and the inspiration that our founding fathers had in developing our liberties and democracy. Something I didn't know? Why isn't the mail delivered on the Sabbath? I'm sure you have asked yourselves that many times! I will tell you, since I just read about it and wrote a mini-essay on it. During the Industrial Revolution, the rising middle class had more morals and wanted a religious foundation as part of their lifestyle. The upper and lower class had their own issues and religion was not a priority. This temperance movement entailed many preachers and religions trying to convert others to a more religious society. They decided that the observance of the Sabbath was critical. A few ministers, thru rallies and boycotts eventually demanded that the Union stop transporting mail on Sundays. Other companies did not agree, but this Sabbath day observance has lasted thru the years......interesting!
My other class is college algebra. It's a hybrid class meaning you only go once a week and do the rest online with your "group" and by yourself. I didn't know this class was a hybrid, and have struggled with this set-up. For our finance section, we had to pick 10 stocks, invest $2500 and watch them grow....or deplete...for the next month. The pressure is that whoever loses the most also loses 25 points off his/her grade. I'm stressing on this one. Stupid stock market keeps going down. I know this will apply to everyone, but I have worked too hard to get every point I can and to lose 25 because I don't know the ins and outs of the market is out of my control. Good thing I don't do this with real money for a living!!
No comments:
Post a Comment