Sunday, June 7, 2009

Math, Mormons and Muslims...Oh My!!

I have finished one week of summer school. It's a math class which starts bright and early in the mornings at 7:20 a.m. and goes for 3 hours, 4 days a week. It's a very interesting class, but jammed pack. Who knew that so many people would wake up that early for a wonderful class of enlightening math??

About 1/2 way thru the class, the nice teacher gives us a break. This is when the fun starts, as there is a variety of people in my class. Last week, I was walking back to class following 2 individuals. One is a woman who brags about her motorcycle and the other is a younger man from a country that speaks Farsi. How do I know that is what he is speaking to his friend across the way? Because my friend across the way has a boyfriend who speaks Farsi and she is learning the language. Anyways.... She is talking to him about her kids and how they are all "Mormons". Here is the jist of the conversation:

"Well, all my kids are Mormon, but I'm not a very good one. I drink coffee and love my tattoos and ....well,.....actually I've been kicked out of the church."

Mr. Farsi: " Aahhhh, we have a lot in common with the Mormons"

"How so??"

"Well, they believe in having more than one wife, and in our country, we have the same belief."

"Oh no, those aren't the Mormons, they are called Polygamists."

"They aren't the same??"

"No"

"Aren't they the ones who have more than one wife, and when she isn't performing her duties, they hide in the mountains of Utah and get another one?"


By now, I'm just listening, as is most of the class. My friend across the way asks me why the Mormon religion is always being bashed. I reply I don't have the slightest clue.

He goes on to say that in their country, when they are dissatisfied with one wife, they just go get another.......just like the Mormons. It was quite funny and by then, the teacher realized her class had gone from Math to Sociology. I'm amazed at the many things you can learn in a math class!

Also, being in a math class and always sitting in the back brought me to the realization that I needed to get glasses....yes, I'm getting old. So, I thought I would share my new look!

On to another enlightening week of class.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 hours a day, four days a week?!?!? wow! that is dedication!! my school doesn't even offer that long of a math class. Best of luck!!!

Mom Roberts said...

Love the knew look. You look so studius...I want to be like you when I grow up!

The Mrs. said...

aw, how cute!

Michelle said...

That is a funny conversation Dena! Good for you for taking math. I'm not sure my brain could handle it anymore. And I love your new look! Very cute!

Unknown said...

K, Dena, it's about time! I've had glasses for a while now! (reading ones that is)