Thursday, September 16, 2010

Just Counting My Blessings!

I’m counting my blessings today. Even though at times, I feel overwhelmed, I know that I should be grateful for all the good in my life. I’ve also decided that when there are many “deadlines” in my life – I need to thank my Heavenly Father that I am healthy enough to be busy.
As I was driving home from school, realizing I had a LOT of homework, a RS class to teach, and many little projects to complete, I started to feel overwhelmed.  Most of us, at times, feel there is not enough time in the day to accomplish all of our "to-do's"  But then, I realized that instead of feeling stressed, I should be counting my blessings. 
Then, Jenny called asking if I could watch Jade while she attended the temple.  Of course, I said YES and immediately started changing my plans to accommodate a special time with my grand-daughter.  After spending some time with her...I realized that I do indeed have many things to be thankful for.  And when I get stressed...I am going to read this list for starters and ENJOY my time here on this beautiful earth!

Some of the blessings in my life today:

The time spent with our precious grand-daughter – Today she was laughing at the simplest things…and we caught in on camera (Jacque and I) I am popping a ball up and down in my hand and Jade is cackling, which in turn, is cracking both Jacque and myself up.




The ability to learn and grow at such an “old” age. I really like learning and my school classes are a challenge, but interesting. I’m not complaining…it just takes me a little longer to catch on.

The capability to serve others – this coming Saturday is our RS’s “Super Saturday” where I am helping the sisters put together 72-hour kits. About 60 were ordered. That is a lot of food! I have discovered that when my kitchen is messy and un-organized, I tend to be a “little” stressed out. But why? I haven’t figured out why my stress levels increase just because my counters are a little dirty and there are packages upon packages of food EVERYwhere…..but hey….It’s an opportunity to help others, and I’m grateful for that!


The answers to prayers – this is a little personal, but I guess I can share that prayers are answered in some VERY interesting ways. Aly shared a “cute” little story about getting lost in the ghettos of her town and somehow getting back to her “home” safe, and in one piece. Many might consider it just a “coincidence”, but I will always acknowledge my Father’s hand in our lives….always!!

A sweet husband who just want to “be with me”. Most people know that Brad does NOT like to shop….AT ALL!! Well, our washing machine is on it’s last cycle. After a repairman estimated the cost to fix it at OVER $1,000, we decided it’s time to get a new one. So, I told Brad I was headed to Sears to look over the brands. He said he would go with me, if afterwards, I would watch Survivor with him. I had to look at him to see if he was serious…he doesn’t usually like to go to malls…stores…anywhere that doesn’t have electronics in the title of the store. So, WE went to Sears and he strolled around while I asked all the questions. Of course, the nice salesperson tried to engage Brad in the conversation, but his answer? “Talk to her… I’m just here to be with her.” How blessed I am to have a husband who wants to spend time with me…even at a store. And yes, we watched Survivor when we returned!

Yes, I am enjoying a very busy day, but I also have many blessings that help me to realize how blessed I am!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is one CUTE granddaughter you have there. i was laughing right along with her.....

Beth said...

As usual Dena you inspire me! I truly have a deep love for you and strive to be like you in my relationships with my family and friends and with my Heavenly Father. Thank you for your inspirations!!

Mom Roberts said...

That was awesome. She is such a cutie! Good luck with your super saturday...did you tell me about it?

Yvette said...

I love this post! Your right it does change your attitude when you think about all of the blessings that Heavenly Father has blessed us with. I also love Jade's cute little belly laugh.

Jacque said...

Oh my goodness I will never forget laughing so hard with Jade that we were both rolling on our backs laughing! That was the best day :)

Mom - you can handle anything! You got this! :) Thanks for posting

Jacque said...

636 views later...it's still the funniest thing I've ever seen :)

Emily Gardner said...

Your story about Brad made me smile. That reminds me SO much of my husband. Thank you for reminding me to be grateful for the sweet little things in life.

Anonymous said...

Oh my heck that video needs to go on YouTube or something! I can't get over how adorable Jade is! She is growing up without me! :( Thank you for the videos and blogs though. I love you Mom!