Friday, November 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Brad

Well, my best friend is another year older and of course, another year wiser too. Since I didn't post around our anniversary, I thought I would post some of my thoughts about the relationship I share with my eternal companion.
I have always been a list-maker. Scraps of paper, fancy list-makers, yellow pads, to-do pads, napkins, Sacrament Programs...you name it, I've made a list on it. I started making lists when I was dating and trying to figure out what type of guy I was attracted to and what type of guy I wanted to be married to. So, I went searching for my "list" when I met Brad. I found it and thought I would share it with you....and my thoughts about those qualities
(Sit back...this may take awhile!)

My LIST - compiled on March 30, 1987:

1. Easy to talk to - I feel I could trust him - He’s very open and to the point
CHECK - (This is still true. I enjoy talking to Brad, sharing my feelings and trust him with my life)

2. He’s good-looking - The kind I’m proud to be with and yet not insecure
CHECK - (In my eyes, his smile still melts my heart!)

3. He’s STABLE - Has a job, pushed himself thru school and law-school
CHECK - (This is also something that has never changed. He takes his role as the provider for our family very seriously and has always given 110% for our family)

4. Very Romantic - Affectionate, very well mannered
CHECK - (He still holds my hand, opens my doors and always wants me to pick the restaurant...so that I will be happy!)

5. Active and dedicated in the gospel - “Loves to home teach” - Helps with various organizations - Goes to the temple - Reads his scriptures - Magnifies his priesthood - CHECK

6. Music - must be important - Family is involved with music - He can sing and play a little - Loves to dance - good dancer
CHECK - (Our kids are always surprised when we are on the dance floor. We met at a dance! I love to dance with Brad!)

7. Very considerate of my children and their feelings - Warms up to Aaron - Doesn’t criticize my discipline - Seems to be understanding
CHECK and Double CHECK - (This was coming from a single parent. It was important to me to have a companion who would fall in love with my two adorable young boys and love them like his own.)

8. Respectful to my parents - CHECK


9. No foul language - CHECK - We ALL know that it is I that has the "potty" mouth!

10. Smart - and says I am
CHECK - (Well, on part of that one! I'm sure he was just helping my confidence. But I must say, that now that I am in school, he is my #1 supporter and always tells me how proud he is of me!)

11. Family Relationships - Close to sisters - *respects parents
CHECK - (I have always admired the care and love he has shown his parents. He always speaks highly of his siblings and even tho he teases some constantly, I know he loves them dearly!)

12. Doesn’t criticize church leaders - loved his mission and the people
CHECK - (We have all heard him speak Korean. I am always amazed at his ability to strike up a conversation with any Korean individual that he happens to meet.)

13. Handy man - CHECK -(I can't tell you how many times he has fixed our sinks, our toilets, our filter systems, our sprinklers, and of course, all our computers. He is truly my FIX-IT man!!)

14. Can adjust to most situations - CHECK?? I honestly don't know why I put this on my list. But in our life together, we have made adjustments. Sometimes, our situation or challenges aren't what we thought they would be, but always, always, Brad is the strength of our family and of our relationship. I wouldn't want to be with any other person. He is my Best Friend, the person that allows me to grow and fly, and most of all, the person I want to spend eternity with!



HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

PS: I love you today!!

2 comments:

Mom Roberts said...

Give him an extra "hug" from us...and I'm glad you love him today!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Brad!! I was thinking of you today...I hope you had a wonderful birthday!