Friday, October 9, 2009

Music

Have you ever thought of how music has been part of your life? What moments can you remember that music has touched your life? Aly had her first HHS Choir concert and they ended the program with a song called The Music Makers. The words hit my soul. I thought of all the times I have listened to music and had my testimony strengthened. Every time I sing the hymn This is the Christ, my heart soars and I have a special witness to the divinity of my Savior. Or, how about the last conference as O, Divine Redeemer was sung? Did that not touch your heart??
Other Music moments that come to mind:

Listening to the Messiah, especially when my Mom has accompanied on the organ. Who can NOT say their heart is touched as the Hallelujah Chorus is sung?

Singing You Are My Sunshine to Jacque when she was a little girl. I would sing it, but change the words and she would always correct me...."Mom..the skies are gray, not purple!"

Singing the Carpenter's "Close to You" to my sweet baby boy as a lullaby.

Coming home as a teenager from the first showing of Saturday's Warrior and singing the songs all the way back to Tucson.

Going to LA with my mom and sister to see the Phantom of the Opera and LOVING the music. Other musicals as well!

Telling my daughters about Michael Buble for the first time. They were skeptical at first and now?? We all swoon at ALL his songs!! It's part of our Sunday-go-to-Grammy/Grampy's house-for-dinner routine!

Reading the hymns and listening to their message as I recuperated from Chemo.

Having favorite "cleaning" music every Saturday

Listening to Christmas music starting in November
And the list goes on and on. Here are the words to "We are the Music Makers"...

We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea breakers, and sitting by desolate streams.
World losers, world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams;
Yet, we are the movers and shakers of the world forever; it seems.
We are the music makers, and we are the makers of song;
Within our hearts a melody that beautifully rights all the wrong.
Our voices, united, offer a gift of love,
Touching every spirit with passion, and emotion;
We give you a song.
Sometimes your life holds sorrow, and life seems all in vain;
The healing power of music can ease the anguish and pain.
No matter what life holds for you, or what the past has been,
Throughout all eternity, music has no end, no end!
For we are the music makers and we are the makers of songs,
Within our hearts a melody that beautifully rights all wrong.
Our voices, united offer a gift of love,
Touching every spirit with passion and emotion,
We give you a song, a song,
We give you a song!


And here is where you can go to listen: HHS Choir

4 comments:

Mom Roberts said...

Yup, your almost translated...wait for me. I love your thoughts sis!

Yvette said...

I love music too! Music can transform you into any kind of mood. Good or bad. Its very powerful. I think the song His Hands was a part of my very first testimony. The testimony where I was breaking away from my parents and had to find out on my own.

Yvette said...

Aly song is very beautiful! They sound awesome.

Michelle said...

I love this and your thoughtfulness. I was listening to a song from the 70's today and it took me straight back to being a little girl. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Now I will think about the music in my life for awhile.