I wonder, sometimes, when we are too old to get out of our "comfort zone". You know, the rut that we are very comfortable in, no matter what role we are in.....mother, sister, student, volunteer, etc. For the past few weeks, I have been WAY OUT of my comfort zone. I have been involved in the Gilbert Fine Arts Youth Production of
Thoroughly Modern Millie. This is my 2
nd year of teaching the music to the Ensemble. This is something I actually enjoy doing. The first year was a little rough, but they gave me a 2
nd chance and I was more confident this year.

BUT
They asked me to also be a part of the Orchestra "Pit" this year. Since the pit is small, most of the string instruments are played on the keyboards along with any other reed instruments needed.

I ended up playing the 1st and 2
nd string violins, the Bass Clarinet and the Bari Sax. Now, this may seem easy, right? But the Bass Clarinet and Bari Sax are played in different keys. Meaning, when you play a "c", you are actually hearing a "
Bb" or an "Eb" depending on the instrument. Unfortunately for me, this has caused great undermining of my natural talent. I play a
Bb on the keyboard and hear a "C" and get VERY confused. I have practiced and practiced and still make the most idiotic errors when in performance. I had no idea that musical scores for Musicals were SO
FLIPPIN' difficult. I'm in a key with 6 sharps, playing in 4/4 time, then 4 measures later I'm in a key of 1 flat, playing in cut time, then swapping instruments and playing in a whole new key altogether. It has really stretched my playing level and helped me to realize that I need to practice more. I really don't want to lose the talents I know I have been blessed with, but this was one of the most difficult, humbling things I have done in a VERY long time! For the first time, I have actually considered quitting a task I committed to do. Don't worry, I said "considered".....very seriously, but I wouldn't. It's just not in my nature.
I don't think they will ask me to do this again!
AND....I will more fully appreciate the orchestra pit when I enjoy my next musical!!
PS: My family has been wonderful while I have been at rehearsals and performances. No complaining.....dishes done, dinner fended on their own for two weeks. I LOVE THEM!!
5 comments:
Good luck mom! We love you!
Just thinking about all the brain work that you are putting in to play music like that makes my head spin. When do you perform?
Performances this week are Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening at 7:00 at Mesquite Jr. High School. Tickets are $10
I want to be just like you when I grow up. love ya sis!
You did great!! The music was really really good!
Post a Comment