Monday, June 25, 2012

Our California Trip

Jacque, Aly, and I headed over to California and met Pam, Charlie, Bry, and Jacob for a much needed "relaxed" weekend.  We were all excited to see each other and spend time together.  Since we had traveled most of Wednesday to get there, we were pretty tired and just wanted to get something simple to eat.  We actually arrived at our hotel within 15 minutes of each other  That is timing!!

Now, with 7 people - all hungry - you would think that we could come up with a place to eat very quickly.  But no, we just couldn't decide.  We had the trusty ipad, iphone, and even Siri couldn't help.  Finally, Jacque suggested a burger joint that we could walk to and we all agreed.

It was a wee bit spicy and greasy, and our stomachs were not very happy afterwards...but hey....it was food! 
We were up the next morning excited to go to Knotts Berry Farm.  It was a cool morning, so walking around was fun.  There are so many roller coaster rides at this park!

Knowing how much my stomach LOVES these rides, I opted to be the official bag holder and picture taker.  I didn't feel bad at all.  I wanted to enjoy the day!
Yes, they are at the top!

(look real close near the top, 6 rows down and you will see Pam and Jacque)
 The next rides Pam graciously decided to "keep me company" and the kids enjoyed the tumbling of their stomachs!  Oh...by the way....Knotts Berry Farm doesn't carry Coke products....can you believe??  NO DC?????

(no, we don't know the person on the right...he was just part of the picture!)



We stopped for a bite of lunch that we had packed in.  And did so right in front of a performing arena.  Well, we have 5 who LOVE to dance and ham it up...so what were we thinking??

Then on to more rides.  I have to admit, I was starting to think that I was a Pansy and maybe my upset stomach was "all in my mind".  So I started to be brave....
And then this one....the Sierra Sidewinder.....
I felt good after this, so on to the "bigger coasters"....
The Boomerang!  Yeah....THAT was a mistake....especially since you go through 2 loops forwards.....and then backwards.  I feel like I succumbed to peer pressure....but really, I just thought I could will myself into handling these rides.  Needless to say, I spent the next while in a very dingy bathroom....YUCK!
In the evenings, we - meaning the "younger" adults - played a game called "Quelf".  It's a game for those who love to act.  It was right up the alley of these wanna-be actors!
In a fort...

Writing a poem with straight arms

The next day we headed to the Clothing District in LA.  It was so much fun battling California traffic but we arrived safely, had fun bartering, spending our money, and finishing off with yummy yogurt.  We headed back to get to the beach for some fun in the sun, watch the sunset, and enjoy the beautiful weather.  On the way down to the beach, right on Harbor Blvd. when traffic was at its finest, we were rear-ended.  I quickly got out, asked the guy if he was ok (I had completely stopped and he ran into our car).  He said he would follow me through the next left-hand turn to the first place we could pull over and exchange information.
OK
I turned left, and he went straight - a hit and run!  In California!  GREAT!
Fortunately, there was minimal damage to my car.  But we sure had the attention of the police.  2 squad cars and 2 motor-cycle policemen showed up to take our information.  Fortunately, Aly had written down the license number and we had a vague description.  With all our i-phones, I cannot believe that we didn't think to take pictures when it happened or of the man!  But we had a great description and the police were all over finding the suspended-license guy.  Yep, I am sure that is why he fled the scene.  Afterwards, my car was driving funny, so we went to a auto shop, got the alignment re-adjusted and headed to the beach....missing most of the sun-filled hours.







(It was COLD - a measly 68 - and we were freezing!)

We sure enjoyed our few days with the cousins in Utah!  They made us laugh and we have many memories to bring smiles to our faces. 
Thanks to Pam - Charlie - Bry - and Jacob for laughing with us and at us.
It was a blast!

1 comment:

Charlie Roberts said...

this was the best much-needed-vaca ever! thanks for posting!!! so much fun with you guys